Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions


Undergraduate Questions

The Andrew Young School does not offer wait listing or overflows into classes that are at maximum enrollment. If a course is full you may contact each department directly to inquire if new sections or seats will be added to the schedule for any particular course:

  • Criminal Justice: 404-413-1020
  • Economics: 404-413-0141
  • Public Management and Policy: 404-413-0107
  • Social Work: 404-413-1050

Generally, if no additional seats or sections will be added students should check the online schedule regularly and during the drop/add period for course openings.

Undergraduate and post-bacc students are generally restricted to taking only undergraduate level courses. Exceptions may be made based on the following criteria:

An undergraduate student must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher and be within 18 semester hours of graduation; a post-baccalaureate student must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher in his or her undergraduate work as well as any graduate work taken at this or any other institution. Eligibility does not guarantee admission into a course.

  • Note: Post-baccalaureate students who did not attend Georgia State as an undergraduate student must submit a transcript from previously attended institutions with this form.

Any graduate level course taken as an undergraduate or post-bacc student will never count toward graduate degree requirements should the student be subsequently admitted. Students should contact the Office of Academic Assistance ( and speak to an advisor for the appropriate form and assistance with the approval process. Most undergraduate or post-bacc students will not be eligible for an exception.

If you are a current Andrew Young School student you should fill out the online Change of College form. The form is located here. If you are student in a different College and wish to switch to the Andrew Young School you should contact that Academic Assistance Office for a Change of College form. Once the change form is submitted your academic file will be transferred to the appropriate College for processing.

For undergraduate students in the Andrew Young School you should email your minor choice to the general OAA account Your advisor will add the minor to your program. Students outside of the Andrew Young School should consult with their program advisor.

For seniors, visit the Office of Academic Assistance to meet with an academic advisor during walk-ins or schedule an appointment to complete your Academic Improvement Program form. Sophomores and juniors, your AIP form will be reviewed and approved by your academic advisor in the University Advisement Center. The registration hold will be removed during your advisement visit. Note: it is a good idea to bring a list of the courses you would like to take next term, including alternate courses, to your AIP advisement session.

Seniors with ninety (90) credit hours or more, should call the OAA (404-413-0021) to make an appointment with your advisor.  Before the appointment, obtain a copy of the SAP form from the One-Stop-Shop.  Fill out the basic information on the form, then on a separate sheet of paper, do a draft of your academic plan (list of classes you plan to take) for the next 3 semesters.  Be sure to refer to the projected schedule of classes for your department when drafting your academic plan.

Before meeting with your advisor you should:

  • Run your academic evaluation online and determine which courses you should be taking.
  • Look at the course schedule for the next semester and make a list of the classes you would like to take and that will fit into your program of study.
  • Register for your preferred classes if registration is already in session. You may change your schedule after advisement if necessary.
  • Print your academic evaluation and bring a copy with you for review with your academic advisor.

Graduate Admissions Questions

No. Photocopies and/or unofficial copies of transcripts are not accepted for admission to the graduate programs. Only official copies are accepted.

GRE scores cannot be waived for applicants to the PhD programs or graduate Economics programs in the Andrew Young School. Applicants to the Graduate certificates, Master of Public Policy, Master of Public Administration and graduate non-degree status may be considered for a waiver of the GRE only if:

  • You have received a master's degree from a regionally accredited US Institution.
  • You have taken no less than two graduate courses in research and statistical methodology.
  • Received a "B" or better in the courses mentioned above.
  • Submit course syllabuses and descriptions for each course.

Applicants who wish to be considered for a waiver must submit an online application, send official transcripts showing the courses and grades in question along with course syllabuses, and email the Office of Academic Assistance ( with a request for a waiver of the requirement. Most applicants do not qualify for a waiver.

Yes, you must submit two official sets of transcripts from each institution attended regardless of the number of classes you took or whether you received a degree at that institution or not.

The Andrew Young School of Policy Studies does not accept the GMAT as substitution for the GRE to our graduate or PhD programs.

The Andrew Young School of Policy Studies offers application fee waivers to McNair Scholars for the following programs:
Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Master of Art in Economics
Master of Art in Economics - Policy Track
Master of Public Administration
Master of Public Policy
Master of Social Work
Doctoral program in Criminal Justice
Doctoral program in Economics
Doctoral program in Public Policy (GSU only program. Joint program excluded from waivers)
Certificate programs in Disaster Management, Nonprofit Studies & Planning, and Economic Development.

To obtain a waiver, current McNair scholars must:

Request that written verification from the institution's McNair coordinator be submitted directly to the Office of Academic Assistance by email, fax, or mail;

Begin the online application
Notify the graduate admission specialist (Jack Mason) by email of the waiver request.
Once verification is received the waiver will be applied to the online application directly.

GRE scores are valid for five (5) years. They must be officially reported by ETS to institution code 5251 to be considered for admission review.

ETS will send scores to GSU within 10-15 days after the GRE is taken. It is recommended that you take the GRE at least one (1) month prior to the application deadline for your program of choice to ensure it is received on time.

Student at the graduate level typically do not transfer into a program in the Andrew Young School. Each student wishing to join the program must apply as a new student and meet all admission requirements. Applicants are not guaranteed admissions. Once admitted, students may request to transfer course work. Master's level students may transfer up to 6 credit hours (2 courses) into the graduate program. Instructions on the process and the online submission form are located here.

Criminal Justice PhD students may transfer up to 6 credit hours into their program. Students should consult with the doctoral coordinator Dr. Eric Sevigny ( for details.

Economics PhD students may transfer up to 15 credit hours into their current program. Students should consult with the doctoral coordinator Dr. Rusty Tchernis for details.

Public Policy PhD students do not have a transfer limit. Students should consult with the doctoral coordinator Dr. Christine Roch ( for details.

You should take the General GRE test and have it reported to institution code 5251. Subject tests are not required for admission to graduate programs in the Andrew Young School.

Only the doctoral program in Criminal Justice and Criminology requires a writing sample. Applicants to all other programs should not submit a writing sample.  The doctoral programs in Economics and Public Policy require a statement of goals and a biographical statement. The writing sample section is used to upload the biographical statement for these two programs.

There is no minimum GPA requirement for consideration to our PhD programs, the average GPA of a competitive applicant is 3.4.  Upon receipt of your transcripts, we would calculate the overall GPA and the last 2-years GPA to give us a balance view of your scholastic career.

There is no minimum GRE requirement for consideration to our graduate programs; however, the average score of a competitive applicant to our master's programs would be a cumulative 1000 points (pre-2012 testing) on the verbal and quantitative sections of the test and a cumulative 295-300 (post-2012 testing) on the verbal and quantitative sections of the test.